<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.linglestowngazette.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Linglestown Gazette: Five Guys burgers reviewed

Monday, March 03, 2008

Five Guys burgers reviewed

I'm on my own to scrape together some grub a couple evenings each week. Last Thursday I opted to leave the cooking to someone else, and decided to give the new Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries restaurant at Colonial Commons along Route 22 a try.

I ordered small fries and a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, ketchup and mustard. My beverage was a free cup of water. (Yeah, I’m a cheapskate.)

Few customers were in the place during the 2 pm hour, so I was surprised when it took about 10 minutes for my order to be prepared.

I discovered by reading the news clips used to decorate the walls that orders are turned out slowly because they are custom prepared – no food is prepared in advance and placed under heating lamps. It would be a good idea for order takers to explain the prep process to customers, especially for a newbie like me.

The burger had a nice hunk of meat in it – much, much bigger than what you get at Mickey D’s and other fast food joints.

The small fry was a gigantic pile of freshly sliced potatoes cooked in peanut oil that melted in my mouth. Next time I’m going to bring along an eating partner and share an order of famous fries. I had fries coming out my ears after downing a little over half of my serving.

The cost came in at a slightly overpriced $7.30 including tax, so I won’t be eating at Five Guys on a regular basis.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate Five Guys a solid 6 – definitely worth a try for all burger lovers.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Rich Hauck said...

Five Guys didn't really impress me despite the hype (The fries were good). Either Zagat is slipping or Harrisburg isn't making them right.

I think the best burger I've had in Central PA is Digs Burgers on Third Street.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger PladicratParty said...

Isn't Zagat based on what customers think?

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd agree with the "6" on Five Guys Burgers-

I liked the no-frills vibe of the place- but couldn't get past the franchise-feel the one near Target off of Eisenhower had-

And the burger- it was "pretty good" - not exceptional-

But for the hands down, best burger in Harrisburg- I hit the Jackson House on 6th- lunch for two never costs less than twenty five bucks- but it's worth every penny.

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the best burgers that I have had have been at Red Robin out off of the Carlisle Pike. Though I am real interested in checking out Digs.

Namaste.

Phil

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger floor9 said...

I'm going to go check it out tomorrow before work. Spyro Gyro in the Camp Hill Mall (shows you how long ago this was) used to make an incredible 1/2-pound burger with bacon, feta cheese, and spinach. Mmmm...

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are tough. I love Five Guys and think their food is outstanding. Best burger chain around. I give it 8.5.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

most of you dont know a good burger if it you square in the face. Five Guys have the best burgers around. Get real all of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home