<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.linglestowngazette.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Linglestown Gazette: Backyard news and links, 09.12.08

Friday, September 12, 2008

Backyard news and links, 09.12.08

Eatery thumbs nose at smoking ban Cantone's Southern Italian Restaurant in Colonial Park has received significant media coverage for openly not enforcing the state’s new indoor smoking ban that became effective Thursday. Cantone's could be fined if a customer decides to report the eatery by calling a state help line at 877-835-9535. A first offense carries a fine of up to $250, a second offense, $500, and a third, $1,000. The publicity Cantone’s has received for just saying no to government meddling with his business has been worth far more than geting slapped with a few fines – although some nonsmokers probably won’t step inside the place.

Shopping for school chief
CD school board has hired a firm to help search for a new schools chief.

People of peace ... CD East High parents and community members are invited to attend a meeting of a group called PEACE, which stands for People Engaged And Committed to the East community. The powwow will take place Monday, Sept. 15, 7 pm at the cafeteria in CD East High. (Source: Lower Paxton forum, PennLive.com, thread #178)

Village merchant does the Web
Olivia’s Tea Room, 5939 Linglestown Road, has launched a nice looking Web site. The shop, which includes a photography business, is located on the second floor of the building that houses Linglestown Flowers and Gifts – use the rear entrance to visit the tea room.

Mowing contest update
I blew the dust off my trusty Honda push mower and whacked my green stuff Thursday for the first time since way back on August 4. The mowing was the 22nd time this season I’ve done this non-green task at Gazette headquarters. The wet weather of late is greening things up, and I think there’s a very good chance the count could break 30 by the time the contest ends on November 1. Sorry DRM – I think your guess of 27 is toast.

Make getting Gazette updates easy, for FREE
Please consider subscribing to this blog's RSS feed. It's FREE and easy to do. In the right-hand sidebar, click on the orange icon or "Subscribe to Linglestown Gazette" link, and then follow the instructions.

Using a feed is great way to automatically find out when new information is added to Linglestown Gazette. I use an online feed reader called Bloglines.

4 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One place you'll never see me again is Cantone's. Arrogant, just plain arrogant.

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure wish you could grow centipede grass here. It's grown down south and grows fairly consistently, but relatively slowly, and needs mowing about once a week. Rain has a slight effect on the growth rate, but not much. And it also grows sideways so patches of areas without grass will fill in over time. No seeding necessary. Some people establish their lawns by just putting in plugs spaced just far enough apart so that they grow together and make a nice lawn in a year or two.

And pine straw is used instead of mulch and you can just buy it in stringed bundles, much like small bales of hay. It's much better for azaleas with its high acidity.

...hmmm

I'm a believer in global warming and I don't think there are too many benefits to the process, but centipede grass would certainly be one of them for Pennsylvanians.

But please don't remind me about how I killed parts of my lawn when I first moved up here by spraying roundup in spots of grass with weeds on my lawn. I ignorantly assumed that the grass here would just "fill in" the areas that I "rounded up" in a few weeks.

But they can have the heat down there. I'm quite a happy camper here in PA and have gladly traded the bouts of occasional snow in winter here for the horribly sticky heat and humidity near Charleston SC during the summer.

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger PladicratParty said...

I used to not care about banning or not banning smoking in the manner in which it has been done.

That changed when I realized I kept getting sick (sore throats, sinus infections) because my closest friends were smokers. Turns out I'm allergic to cigarette smoke.

I'm not an idiot. If I go into a bar, I expect the smoke to be there. So, if I go to the bar, I'm taking the risk, unless there's a bar and restaurant that banned smoking on their own right.

So finally, I can go to bars without any qualm. I'm not saying that because of me they should ban smoking in public places - rather, the lack of smoking I believe increases the quality and standard of living.

New York City is a great place to go to. And they banned smoking in bars and restaurants. And people (New Yorkers and New Jersey-ians, no less) there survived.

As of right now, I no longer have any plans of visiting Cantone's..which is really sad.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applaud Cantones for standing up to government interference in his business. I don't smoke and if I don't want to go to a smoking establishment then I don't go there, i'll go to a non-smoking eatery/bar. it's called the free market and the government has no business telling business who to cater to.
Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home