<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.linglestowngazette.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Linglestown Gazette: Being frugual in Linglestown

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Being frugual in Linglestown

Linglestown blogger and Gazette contributor KM has some tips for celebrating a frugal Christmas.
____

Speaking of frugality, today marks the start of a new Gazette feature that I'm calling Project No Drive. The goal of this project is too see if I can radically cut down the number of miles that I drive in my trusty 1998 Saturn SW-1.

Today I drove a total of four miles to attend a worship service at New Hope Church.

On the alternative transportation side, it was a beautiful day for a walk, and I made a trek from my home near Koons Park to Paxton Square Shopping Center to do some early Christmas shopping. I used a backpack to carry home my purchases. The trip requires crossing busy Route 22, and I found a safe place to cross – the traffic light at Hoffman Fordland that has a pedestrian button and a crosswalk.

Check back daily for Project No Drive updates.

6 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walking is great. The dog and I have visited most streets and alleys in the area. Linglestown and Lower Paxton Township aren’t really pedestrian friendly. Local streets/roads have no OR very narrow shoulders.

Why is there reluctance to require sidewalks along the high traffic routes?

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the intrepid BB on the move yesterday! I wondered if your journey would end up on the Gazette. Keep walking!

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, a.k.a. B2 (pronounced "B Squared") also has two dogs. If the winter provides enough snow maybe we'll see a dog sled mode of transportation ...
DRM

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Bill Bostic said...

RE: Why is there reluctance to require sidewalks along the high traffic routes?

The township usually requires sidewalks to be installed for new commercial and residential projects. Forcing old neighborhoods along through streets to install sidewalks would be very expensive and controversial.

Also, the township recently adopted a greenway plan. Check it out here:

http://tinyurl.com/5hdbv8

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've walked over to 22 a couple times and have found the overpass bit is dreadful. The highway on and off ramps with no pedestrian markings specifically. Feels a bit like like wearing a deer costume on the game lands during hunting season.

Walking up Balthaser isn't much better in the areas with high berms on either side and no shoulders.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Bill Bostic said...

baka², I like it, I like it a lot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home