<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.linglestowngazette.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Linglestown Gazette: Linglestown case spotlights problem with PA law

Friday, April 10, 2009

Linglestown case spotlights problem with PA law

The Thursday edition of The Patriot-News ran an editorial that called for Pennsylvania to bring its mental health legislation up to speed. I say “amen” to that. Below is a comment that I posted on PennLive in response to the editorial:

Based on a case in my neighborhood, this editorial makes excellent suggestions.

A household in my East Shore neighborhood had dealings with the judicial system about a family member that refused to take medications to treat a mental illness. Eventually, the uncooperative family member ended up living in the family's home alone – the spouse opted to live at another location. End result: The sick family member ended up in jail.


The individual displayed odd behavior and became a nuisance to her neighbors. I helped her out as much as I could, but the situation spiraled out of control over time.


I suspected that this would happen. It was clear to me that warehousing this person in a home was a terrible way to deal with the situation. What a tragedy!

To help avoid messy situations like the one described above, please take two minutes to e-mail state Sen. Jeff Piccola and ask him to seek passage of Senate Bill 251.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home